Trent Williams says official called him derogatory name

Redskins offensive lineman Trent Williams said NFL umpire Roy Ellison cursed at him and referred to him in a derogatory manner during the team’s 24-16 loss to the Eagles on Sunday.

As he shared that in the locker room, Williams was chastised by teammates, who told him he would be fined. Williams responded that he did not care, that people needed to know.

Standing next to him was offensive lineman Kory Lichtensteiger, who verified that the interaction occurred. He said he was wearing a microphone during the game if the league wants to verify.

“I’ve never heard anything like that before in my life,” Lichtensteiger said. “These guys, I don’t know what it was, but especially that guy (Ellison) came out with some kind of a vendetta.”

A league spokesman said the incident would be reviewed. There was no comment from the officials.

Williams said he stood by his comments.

“Psychologically, you’ve got to think you’re going against the refs,” he said. “You can’t play the refs. At the end of the day, they’ve got the last call. That flag comes out of their pocket. It’s their choice to pick it up or not. It’s a helpless feeling.”


NFL policy allows a pool reporter to speak to the referee about controversial elements of the game. After I requested that regarding Trent Williams’ comments, a Philadelphia media relations person led me to the Eagles locker room, to talk with designated pool reporter Reuben Frank.

Because Frank was conducting interviews, the media relations official suggested that I serve the role, and I was escorted to the officials’ locker room.

The security guard said the officials had left, and they were on a bus about 20 yards away. I walked over to the bus, and requested to the driver that he ask for Walt Coleman, head referee.

Coleman came to the window and asked how he could help me. I repeated Williams’ comments, and asked him to comment on whether that occurred. He said OK, then directed the driver to roll up the window.

After the window of the bus was rolled up, it then began driving and left the stadium. No further comment was given.